The Older People’s Mental Health Service offers support to those who are elderly and experiencing acute mental health illness through the Acute Mental Health and Memory Service. The service offers an inpatient service, Konar Suite, for those who would benefit from a period of intensive assessment and treatment within a safe environment as well as home treatment and crisis support for individuals who are able to live independently. Konar Suite is a purpose built, ten bed unit that has been carefully designed to create a positive and stimulating environment for those living with illnesses such as dementia.
What services do we offer?
Konar provides an evidence-based, high quality, individualised holistic service for all our service users at the time when they are at the most vulnerable stage of their illness.
All staff deliver a high-quality service that promotes respect and maintains dignity in an environment that they would be happy for their own loved ones to receive.
Our aim is:
- To promote independence and rehabilitation for the individual
- To provide person centred care, addressing the whole persons needs including body, mind, emotion and spirit.
- To work with carers, when appropriate ensuring they are included in all aspects of care, future needs and treatment
- To ensure that practice is safe, responsive and effective
- To provide continuity of care through effective communication across all professional teams, irrespective of the setting.
- The multi-disciplinary team (MDT) interfaces with other professional groups to support discharge planning.
- Ensuring that effective and timely discharge occurs, reducing delayed discharges and bed unavailability.
- To provide continuity of care through effective communication across all professional teams to maintain a seamless service, irrespective of the setting from referral to discharge including signposting to other services if indicated.
- To provide intensive assessment, care and treatment to prevent admissions to inpatient areas as the least restrictive option.
- Ensuring that effective and timely discharge occurs from inpatient services, promoting appropriate early discharge.
- To act as gatekeeper for community crisis beds and inpatient area
Konar Suite can offer support in many ways including:
- The delivery of daily care in an unrestricting and homely environment
- The promotion of social inclusion and recovery to enable the service user to be reintegrated into their community and soon as they are ready
- Support from Nurses, Doctors, Nursing Assistants, Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Dieticians, Physiotherapists and other professionals
- An individual care plan that is tailored to the individual’s needs
- Daily engaging, therapeutic and leisure activities such as music and reminiscence. Suggestions are always welcome from service users!
Konar Suite is the winner of the Laingbuisson Specialist Care Award for Excellence in Dementia Care 2015, celebrated for the innovative environment that produces positive outcomes for service users. This is an exceptional achievement that is a true testament to the service.
Click the link below to watch a short video of our staff talk about how important our services are to them and the service users who they work with, https://youtu.be/YF6g5IjZNCo
How do I access the Acute Mental Health and Memory Service?
Referrals can be made via the Single Point of Access by any healthcare professional, including your GP, care manager, community matron or district nurse.
The service user’s GP will always be consulted about a referral to our services.